Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Bibliophile Files!

Well I can't believe a whole month has passed since my last post about books read in March.  Today we cover books read in April.  Sarah at sarahdidit.blogspot.com hosts the bibliophile files once a month.  It is a linky party and so much fun to see what folks have been reading.  The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny was given to me by my sweet sister in law for my birthday.  It is a murder mystery set in a remote monastery in Canada.  The Monks sing Gregorian Chants in the earliest most pure form of the art.  Then someone is murdered.  The police have to conduct an investigation inside a monastery which has never had outsiders inside it's walls before.  It was a good book and I enjoyed learning about Gregorian Chants.
 The Careful Use of Compliments by Alexander McCall Smith is an audiobook.  It is a book from his Isabelle Dalhousie series.  She is a philosopher and thinks deeply about things.  This series is so sweet and entertaining.  I absolutely enjoy them from page 1 until the end.
 The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday is another in the the Isabelle Dalhousie series.  Just as charming as the one above.
I also read The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott.  It is a story about a seamstress who gets a last minute position as a ladies maid to a famous dress designer about to set sail on the Titanic.  The book is largely about the court cases which ensue after the sinking of the vessel.  Very interesting.
I have had a busy month and not much book reading has been done.  Thank goodness for audiobooks.  I painted my living room while listening to Alexander McCall Smith's books.  Made the job less boring.

2 comments:

  1. I'm adding The Dressmaker and Beautiful Mystery to my honey read list. Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great adds to my list. I too am such a fan of audiobooks - they allow me to get so much more "reading" time in!

    ReplyDelete