Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Free Motion Quilting on a Domestic Machine

I made a very modern looking quilt for my son and completed the top, basted it and got it ready for quilting.  This was probably two years ago.  I have been agonizing about the quilting.  What to do?
 I was really stumped as to how to quilt it.  I had tried hand quilting with embroidery floss - no!  I thought about using a stencil - no!  All that marking did not seem appealing to me.
A few days ago I had an epiphany!  Why not quilt it sampler style!  Be creative and quilt different designs in each colored block.  So I bit the bullet and started yesterday.  It all went swimmingly!  I got two rows completed as well as three rows of the sashing.  I started in the middle of the quilt, so the hard parts are done now.  Not so much fabric to stuff into the throat of my machine.  I am also having so much fun trying out shapes which I have not done before.  The quilt is predominantly blue and grey.  So I picked a beautiful blue thread called "French Blue" from Connecting Threads.  It is a perfect thread for the job.  The colors don't show well on the pictures and I apologize for that as I took them last night.  
On a different note, look what came in the mail yesterday.  My FAVORITE magazine next to QUILTMANIA!  Have a great day everybody!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to quilt it sampler style...very inspired :-) What are you quilting in the sashing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo my Primitive Quilts arrived yesterday - delicious!!

      Delete